This afternoon, Daniel Ek, CEO of Spotify, held a media event to announce the introduction of Spotify Now, a new platform within Spotify. Says Ek, regarding Spotify Now’s basic strategy, it’s “centered around a richer mobile music experience built around a Spotify users’ day, bringing them the music they love, when they need it the most.” Ek shared the stage with Spotify’s Chief Product Officer, Gustav Söderström, VP of User Experience Rochelle King, as well as a group of celebrities including Ilana Glazer and Abbi Jacobson of Broad City, Tiesto, D’Angelo and Questlove.
What can users look forward to? Some of the key takeaways include:
- The Spotify Now page – a curated spot for users to visit any hour of the day or night and find music perfect for that time.
- Spotify Running – song recommendations based on users’ listening history, multiple-genre playlists and original running compositions written by some of the world’s foremost DJs and composers, all set to the tempo of their running!
- More Than Music – video clips and audio shows/podcasts will now be available, with suggestions based on a user’s listening history.
- Spotify Originals – original shows and clips including, “a range of exclusive content, from Dance Move of the Day produced by Amy Poehler’s Smart Girls brand, to specially curated radio shows presented by artists including Icona Pop, Jungle and Tyler the Creator.”
- Entertainment, news and clips – Spotify has partnered with ABC, BBC, Comedy Central, Condé Nast, ESPN, and more to provide up-to-date news and entertainment content.
How this all plays out should be very interesting, and we’re certainly excited for the new developments from Spotify! For a deeper dive, take a look at Spotify’s official press release here. To check out the archived live updates of today’s event, The Verge did an excellent job of covering it here. How do you think this will impact Spotify users’ consumption of music, podcasts, news and entertainment? Tell us in the comments!