Director, Product Management
Reporting to the CMO, the Director of Product Management will be responsible for leading the strategic direction and advancement of the features and products critical to TuneCore’s continued market leadership. In this role, the Director of Product Management is the expert across all products and ensures that his/her Product Management team has the same level of skills and expertise and thereby can navigate between the business and IT in delivering on a rich roadmap. This role partners with the analytics team to evaluate opportunities and define business cases and ROI tied to strategic initiatives. The Director establishes processes and governance for evaluating roadmap priorities and partners closely with various stakeholders and the leadership team to refine the roadmap. This person and their team also represent the business objectives through delivery of each feature / product implementation and ensure the end goal meets the original needs.
This role requires a focus on the customer, a commitment to action-oriented analysis, and a thirst for continuous learning. The candidate must have the dual ability to be a strategic thinker and a hands-on manager in an evolving, entrepreneurial environment.
This position is based out of our New York office.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The tasks and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Write product requirement documents based on stakeholder feedback. Crisply define the “What” and manage its delivery. Be able to breakdown goals and strategies into actionable deliverables and stages.
- Proactively build knowledge base to intimately know the market, product, product line and competition.
- Define, manage and distribute the TuneCore product roadmap to senior management and stakeholders, providing clear visibility to project effort sizing, estimated delivery timelines and priority.
- Capitalize on the expertise of designers and engineers to reach the best possible version of a feature or product.
- Oversee build and management of feature backlogs and product documentation such as PRDs, business requirements, use cases, user flows/stories, flows, and functional specs.
- Prioritize development activities with engineering teams, assist in determining the best technical implementation methods, work closely with QA on acceptance testing and lead product launches.
- Strong partner to third party vendors to implement new features and manage day-to-day issues.
- Keeps abreast on what’s happening within the digital and music industry and proactively shares strategic insights with the leadership team.
- Strong knowledge of industry best practices and competitive landscape.
- Capture, synthesize and distill actionable insights necessary to build a compelling 1-2 year product roadmap. Balance between short-term initiatives and long-term product builds.
- Proactively manage workload and priorities to drive results taking ownership and pride in the success of TuneCore’s products.
- Lead the build of new product proposals for approval by senior management, working cross-functionally to develop business cases and define ROI.
- Devise meaningful testing and segmentation strategies to refine product direction with analytics and marketing teams.
Team Leadership and Management
- Motivate employees and serve as a trusted advisor through strong collaborative leadership.
- Create a team environment that encourages accountability, high standards and innovation.
- Develop and retain diverse talent that makes a strong, positive impact on the organization. Continuously improve team and job structure and ensures clear leadership accountabilities are in place. Identify talent of direct reports and assist with their growth and development.
- Identify necessary business process enhancements to drive feature evolution forward and partner with stakeholders to effect business process change.
- BA/BS degree, or higher
- 6-8 years of product management.
- Minimum 3 years leadership experience
- Experience with waterfall and agile methodologies.
- Proven track record of building, launching and managing digital products and services.
- Strong technical understanding (development methodologies, phases, etc.)
- Strong leadership, communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to quickly translate and communicate complex problems or concepts.
- Proven track record in working collaboratively across functional areas to drive results – can interact effectively with representatives from Technology and Marketing
- Savvy leader capable of leading and influencing cross-functional teams without direct report accountability.
- Demonstrate thoroughness, follow-up, attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent time management skills, with the ability to prioritize, multi-task and work under shifting deadlines.
- A strong knowledge of the digital music industry is highly preferred.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER