Cover Song Licensing
Protect yourself from copyright claims on cover songs, without the hassle. We've partnered with Royalty Solutions to offer two different pricing options to clear your cover songs.
- Best suited for artists who intend to sell more than 500 digital downloads (units)
- Pay-as-you-go processing fees assessed quarterly
- Covered forever
- Best suited for artists who intend to sell less than 500 digital downloads (units)
- Pre-pay all fees, even if units are unsold
- Re-licensing, converting to a Standard License, or ending the sale of the download is required once 500 units are sold
What is a Mechanical License?
A mechanical license for cover songs gives you the right to reproduce and distribute a copyrighted song on a permanent digital download.*
*The mechanical license provided by Royalty Solutions only covers digital downloads. You will need an additional license if you choose to physically distribute your cover song.
Who is Royalty Solutions?
Royalty Solutions is a partner that provides mechanical licenses for TuneCore distributed tracks through TuneLicensing.com.
How do I know if I need one?
If you have created a recording of a song that was written, recorded, and previously released by another artist, this is classified as a cover song. No matter how unique and different your version is, someone else legally owns the song and is therefore entitled to royalties. By requesting a mechanical license, you are ensuring that the original creator of the song is getting their fair share of the sales of the cover.